Pages

June 2, 2011

Oxtails with White Rice and Collard Greens

Growing up my mom used to make oxtails maybe once sometimes twice a year, they are kind of costly but oh soo worth it! I, myself, have never attempted to make them. I always felt like that was Mom's dish. HEB had a good deal on some so I picked them up. Now I won't lie I was scared! I knew I also wanted some good greens. I don't even like greens but during the holidays they are always around  and well I have tried them a time or two but I just don't like them. I must say mine turned out so amazing that I actually had a second serving of them. If you don't like something or have had bad experiences with a certain type of food you should try it again anyways, you never know you may end up loving it.



3 to 4   bay leaves
2   large yellow onions, peeled and sliced into half-moons
Several dashes soy sauce
Paula Deen’s House Seasoning
2   whole oxtails, sliced into 2-inch pieces

Buttered Rice
2 cup uncooked rice
4 cup water
1   stick butter
Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Trim fat from oxtails. In a broiling pan, toss oxtails with House Seasoning and soy sauce. Top with onions and bay leaves. Add water to fill pan 1/4 of the way to the top. Cover pan with foil and bake until oxtails are tender, about 2 1/2 to 4 hours. Prepare rice according to package directions, adding butter and salt, to taste. Serve rice alongside oxtails.


Collard Greens

  • 2 1/2 pounds collard greens
  • 2 garlic cloves

Remove and discard stems and center ribs of collard greens. Cut leaves into 1-inch pieces. In a kettle of boiling water cook collards and garlic 35 minutes and drain and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment