Pages

February 18, 2013

Confetti Frittata

Meatless Monday: Confetti Frittata
Every month I get the Rachel Ray food magazine. Honestly, I don't care much for her shows but I do love her food! Every issue I have come across I have used more than five recipes in each one. No I'm not getting paid by Rachel Ray to say this it's the truth, although if she wanted to donate something who am I to say no ;) Anyways the latest issue had a recipe for Broccoli Rabe Frittata with a Fennel Salad.
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/broccoli-rabe-frittata-with-fennel-salad/
I had just got some fresh broccoli and also I had fennel. It was my first time trying fennel and it was okay but I wouldn't eat often. It taste like licorice. On my first attempt I followed the recipe fairly close, replacing the broccoli rabe with broccoli florets, taking out the potato and adding a sweet potato.
All in all it was delicious and C loved it!! A frittata is good warm or cold and great very any meal. I made a frittata tonight as well, this time I skipped the fennel salad and added purple cauliflower. It was very delicious! We love eggs around here and this is a good way to get our protein since no meat is in this meal.

The below recipe is Rachel Ray's. I adjusted it for my own tastes as you should as well! Don't be afraid to try something new and fresh!

ingredients
1/2 small lemon, zested and juiced
5 tablespoons EVOO
Salt and pepper
1 large bulb fennel, sliced, plus 1 tbsp chopped fronds
1 1 pound bunch broccoli rabe, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 ounces pecorino-romano, grated
10 eggs, lightly beaten

directions
Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp. lemon juice, the lemon zest, 1 tbsp. EVOO, salt and pepper. Toss with the fennel and fronds. Set aside.

In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Stir in the broccoli rabe with 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the stems are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining 3 tbsp. EVOO to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the scallions and broccoli rabe; cook for 2 minutes.

Stir half of the cheese into the eggs; season with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the vegetables. Cook until set around the edges of the pan but still jiggly in the center, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. I cook this frittata in an electric skillet so I put the lid on and let it set until the eggs are cooked all the way and the cheese is all melted.

Serve the frittata with the fennel salad.


I love shopping at the farmers market! There are so many varieties of fruits and vegetables! I try to get one new thing every time I go, that way I can enjoy new flavors! If you are interested in shopping at a farmers market but don't know where to go leave me a comment.

xoxo,
Mrs. J


ps. I am blogging from my phone so no professional food pics just some iPhone shots! Sorry maybe during the summer when I have more time! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment