Pages

October 20, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce and Bacon

Recently I have discovered a new love for butternut squash. This stuff is amazing. I use it for my main go to vegetable currently. I have always loved raviolis and thought hmm that would be the perfect combination. I have been trying to come up with a few meat free meals. I did a quick google search and stumbled up Iowa Girl Eats as I was reading through the recipe I knew it was exactly what I wanted! I went and purchased the wonton wrappers since I had everything else on hand. Raviolis are hard to make y'all! Follow her directions they will be much prettier.


I did not have any come out perfect but they all tasted great. I made these and froze them exactly the way Iowa Girl Eats did. Now I have delicious clouds full of butternut squash at my hand anytime I want them. At the end of her post she had a recipe included for how she prepared them. I followed it and added some sage to the sauce, pure deliciousness!!! Just like Iowa Girl says total Food Coma.



The following recipe is from AllRecipes.com. It is basically the exact same. I liked Iowa girls raviolis better by browning them in the pan. check out both recipes and see which works for you better.

Ingredients

  • 1 large butternut squash - halved lengthwise, peeled and seeded
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 50 wonton wrappers
  • 1 teaspoon egg white, lightly beaten
  • Sauce
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place the squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon butter in the hollow of each half. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the squash with a sheet of aluminum foil tucking in the edges.
  3. Bake squash in preheated oven until tender and easily pierced with a fork, 45 to 65 minutes.
  4. Scoop the cooked squash into a bowl, and mash until smooth. Mix in the allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and Parmesan cheese until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  5. Fill a deep pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
  6. To make the ravioli, place a wonton wrapper on a clean, flat surface. Brush edges with the egg white. Place about 1 tablespoon of the squash mixture in the middle of the wonton. Cover with a second wonton wrapper. Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and squash mixture until all have been used.
  7. Drop the ravioli into the boiling water, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove, drain, and keep warm until sauce is prepared.
  8. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the sage. Continue to cook and stir until the sage is crispy but not browned. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place 6 to 8 raviolis on serving plates, and drizzle with sauce.

xoxo,
Mrs. J

No comments:

Post a Comment