Pages

May 20, 2011

Homemade HotDogs Buns

I saw this post over at So Tasty, So Yummy and we I didn't have any hot dog buns on hand and really didn't want to go to the store plus I had all the ingredients to make on hand. They didn't come out quite right, didn't rise enough I guess. They were a fail but I would try again. I think my yeast is not stored properly? Also I used Wheat Flour because I don't care for the white starchy taste of white bread.

Homemade Hot Dog Buns1 tablespoon sugar
2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 – 2 cups flour

1 - 2 cups wheat flour
1 egg

In the bowl of your stand mixer, dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let sit for 10 minutes. Add the milk, oil, salt and 3 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Beat with the dough hook until combined.

Add flour, 1 large spoonful at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead 5-7 minutes, until you have a smooth, elastic dough. Put the dough into an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about one hour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface. Divide into 9 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Roll the balls into cylinders, 4 ½ -inches in length and flatten slightly. Place each bun on a lined baking sheet with the sides just barely touching. Cover with a light towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Just before baking, lightly brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.) Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the buns from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yields 9 buns


xoxo,
Mrs. J

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty freaking awesome. I'll have to try that after we run out of buns from Parker's party haha.

    ReplyDelete